dbt v0.20.0b1 is currently available as a beta prerelease. Please help us by testing, and post in #dbt-prereleases with questions or issues.
For dbt users
Schema test macros are now
test blocks, which we're going to start calling "generic tests." There is backwards compatibility for schema test macros prefixed
test_, and you can still use them without switching to test blocks (though we hope you will soon!). The biggest breaking change is that all tests now return a set of failing rows, rather than a single numeric value. This resolved a longstanding inconsistency between schema tests and data tests.
For dbt plugin maintainers
Macro dispatch now includes "parent" adapter implementations before using the default implementation. If you maintain an adapter plugin that inherits from another adapter (e.g.
dbt-redshift inherits from
adapter.dispatch() will now look for prefixed macros in the following order:
New and changed documentation
- Building a dbt Project: tests
- Test Configs
- Resource configs: enabled and severity
- Test properties
- Node Selection (with updated test selection examples)
- Writing custom generic tests
Elsewhere in Core
- The graph Jinja context variable includes
- Packages can now be installed from git with a specific commit hash as the revision, or via sparse checkout if the dbt project is located in a
- adapter.dispatch includes parent adapters when searching for macro implementations.
- New partition-related BigQuery configs:
- On BigQuery, dbt can now add query comment items as job labels
- Snowflake and BigQuery incremental models using the
mergestrategy accept a new optional config,
- Postgres configs now include first-class support for